The R&A Women in Golf Charter
A commitment to a more inclusive culture within golf
We, Great Torrington GC call on everyone involved in golf to play their part in developing a culture that values women’s involvement in every aspect of the sport, from participating to pursuing a career.
Our aim is to increase the number of women and girls playing and working in golf.
- To achieve this goal and to enable women to flourish throughout golf, we recognise the need for a fundamental shift in culture. There is a clear ethical need for change and the potential economic benefits of growing the sport through more women and girls playing are substantial.
- The R&A commits to playing a leading role in this process and to working with affiliates, partners and the wider golf industry towards achieving this goal.
- In signing this Charter, we Great Torrington GC commit to making tangible efforts to develop a welcoming and inspiring environment for women. We will do more to attract women into golf, to remain, and to have rewarding careers.
- Is a statement of intent from the golf industry and Great Torrington GC, to unite and to focus gender balance at all levels
- Commits us all to supporting measures to increase the number of women, girls and families playing golf
- Calls for positive action to encourage women to pursue careers in all areas of the sport
- Recognises the need for change that creates an inclusive environment within golf and our golf club
Signatories commit to activate this Charter by:
- Developing and implementing an internal strategy for enhancing gender balance at every level
- Establishing senior management responsibility and accountability for gender balance and inclusion, which is discussed and reviewed at committee/board level with Great Torrington GC
- Strongly advocating more women and girls playing and working in golf.
- Working with key stakeholders to develop and embed a more inclusive culture.
- Promoting the Charter and our goal of encouraging more women and girls to play golf and work in golf.
How we at Great Torrington GC Plan to achieve this
- To achieving and maintain 30% female representation on our Board of Directors by actively promoting these positions linked to appropriate role descriptors that are not gender specific
- Deliver a minimum number of 4 initiatives each year targeting women/girls and families that are aligned with key England Golf campaigns
- Formally promote inclusion to the wider community via the club website, social media accounts and local community groups
- Promote a membership pathway, for women/girls and families to progress within the club
- Have designated Champions/Mentors within the club who can assist and support new participants and members
- Appoint a designated Charter Champion within the club who can assist with the promotion and reporting of the charter
Signed on Behalf of Great Torrington GC:
Club Manager/Secretary: Signed: Tony Gooch
Date: 21st December 2020
Charter Champion: Signed: Jackie Saundersate:
21st December 2020